Books offer the unique opportunity to visit with someone who has taken the time to dive deep into subject areas that are relevant to topics of concern. The assessment process relies heavily on research and wisdom gained from leveraging the experience of others. Oftentimes, this can best be obtained by investing time in a book that seems to speak to a particular assessment instrument.
On this page, we will highlight books that have made a positive impact on our role in assessing individuals. We’ll add a short review to each book listed here as time permits. The list will continue to grow as we are always learning.
- A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix by Edwin H. Friedman, Edward W. Beal (Editor), Margaret M. Treadwell (Editor) goodreads book review
- The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict by The Arbinger Institute goodreads
- Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert M. Sapolsky goodreads
- Beyond the Local Church: How Apostolic Movements Can Change the World by Sam Metcalf, Alan Hirsch (Foreword) goodreads
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell goodreads
- Building the Bridge as You Walk on It: A Guide for Leading Change by Robert E. Quinn goodreads
- Coaching for Emotional Intelligence: The Secret to Developing the Star Potential in Your Employees by Bob Wall goodreads
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler, Stephen R. Covey (Foreword) goodreads
- Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within by Robert E. Quinn goodreads
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber goodreads
- Effectiveness by the Numbers
- Five dysfunctions of a team
- Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders by Dave Ferguson, goodreads
- How People Grow by Henry Cloud & John Townsend
- Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality by Henry Cloud
goodreads book review
- Leadership and Self-Deception, by The Arbinger Group goodreads
- Leadership Pain
- Let Your Life Speak
- Level up your Day
- Lynchpin by Seth Godin
- Maybe you should talk to someone by Lori Gottlieb
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Move Forward by Henry Cloud, goodreads
- Ordering Your Private World by Gordon McDonald
- Parish Collective
- Primal Leadership by Daniel Goleman
- Renovation of the Heart by Dallas Willard
- Rework by Jason Fried, David Heinemeier Hansson goodreads book review
- Sex Begins in the Kitchen by Kevin Leman
- Shattered Dreams
- The Art of Scientific Investigation by W.I.B. Beveridge
- The Critical Journey of Faith
- The Gift of Being Yourself
- The Making of a Leader
- The Power of Habits
- The Sacred Romance by Brent Curtis & John Eldredge
- The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything by Stephen M.R. Covey.
This is the son of Stephen Covey author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. In the first few chapters, Covey states how there are millions of dollars lost in organizations because people don’t have trust. This book relates to EQ (Emotional Intelligence). When people think EQ is not important, there is a lack of trust. If you have high EQ in an organization you have an opportunity for people to gain trust. Covey explains how to develop trust, essentially improving and applying good EQ.
- The True Believer
- Toxic Charity
- Tribal Leadership by David Logan, et. al.
- Who Switched off my brain
- Winning on Purpose
Please feel free to contact us if you have any new books for consideration.